America seems to have something of a coffee addiction, what with the Starbucks phenomenon, “America runs on Dunkin’ ” and the rest of the coffee chains… Wouldn’t it be nice to have some nice, homemade biscotti to complement? You should try to use high quality chocolate, if you can.
Chocolate Nut Biscotti
2 large eggs
1 tbs. instant coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c butter, softened
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 c almonds, chopped
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325oF Lightly butter and flour a large baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the eggs, instant coffee, and vanilla until well-blended and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg mixture. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in the nuts and chocolate.
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each 14 in. long, 1 1/2 in. wide, and 1 in. thick. Place the logs 12” apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Set the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the logs from the baking sheet and place on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 3/4” slices. Place the slices upright and 1/2” apart on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until slightly dry. Remove the biscotti from the baking sheet. Cool completely on the wire rack.
7. Store in a tightly covered container.
Makes about 30 cookies